When deciding on orthodontic treatment whether it be for cosmetic reasons or for medical reasons there are multiple options to choose from. The two most popular options most patients consider are metal braces or clear aligners.
Pros of Clear Aligners
There are many advantages to using clear aligners which are outlined below:
- Aesthetically appealling – they are less noticeable than metal braces
- Less treatment time in most cases
- Less pain – the material used is less harsh on the gums and cheeks
Cons of Clear Aligners
While there are benefits to using clear braces there are also disadvantages:
- May be more expensive than metal braces
- May not be as effective as metal braces in certain situations
- Need to be taken out to eat and drink
What are Metal Braces?
Metal braces are the more widely known form of orthodontic treatment. Both the brackets and wire are metal. They work the same way as clear aligners and are available for more comprehensive cases.
Pros of Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are a great option to align teeth because:
- They can be used for all dental alignment issues
- They are more durable and have less breakage
- They may be the least expensive option
- You can change the color of the elastics when changing the wire
Cons of Metal Braces
While metal braces are great for teeth alignment, there are disadvantages as well.
- Unaesthetic appearance
- The metal brackets can cut your lips and cheeks
- Adjustments can be more painful
Consult a Dentist About Your Orthodontic Options
Our dentists at Lakeview Dental Care can help you decide which orthodontic treatment is best for you. Depending on the type of orthodontic treatment you are eligible for, they can help you find an orthodontist as well. Schedule an appointment at one of our conveniently located offices today!